What are the requirements for application?

All candidates will be asked to submit essay(s) and personal statement as part of the application process. Shortlisted candidates may be called for an interview. Candidates may also be asked to provide a reference.

Freshman candidates should be prepared to participate in the University Town College Programme (UTCP). Students who are accepted in their senior years or who belong to non-modular faculties or schools should be prepared to read a minimum of one module a year in the College as a condition for residency.

If I am successful in my application, how long can I stay in the College?

Freshmen accepted into the College in their first year are offered residency for one year in the first instance, which is normally renewed, so that they stay in the College for two years. Students entering the College in their senior years are allocated a one-year residency. At the completion of the two-year period of stay, students may submit application to request for the Senior Retention.

How much does it cost to stay in CAPT?

Here are the *current room and meal plan rates.

Rates for different room types in CAPT

Non A/C           : Non air-conditioned
A/C                  : Air-conditioned
6 bdrm apt       : 6-bedroom apartment (single rooms with a shared living room)
Meal Plan Rates
Students staying in the Residential Colleges are required to subscribe to meal plans.

No meal plan during vacation periods.
In the event that the meal rates are pro-rated, a daily rate will be used.

*This information in the above tables is correct as of August 2018. Do refer to the this website for the most updated information.

Is the meal plan compulsory?

Yes, it is compulsory for all students to purchase a meal plan if admitted to the College as meals are considered part of community life.

What are the meals provided at the dining hall?

Meals are served six days per week. On weekdays, breakfast and dinner will be provided. On weekends, only breakfast on Saturdays and dinner on Sundays will be provided. For more details, please refer to here.

What kind of food choices are available?

Various type of meals (Western, Asian, Vegetarian, Indian, Halal) are available. You will use a meal credit for each meal. Items from the Salad & Fruit, and Drinks sections are free-flow.

How many sets of meal can I take per meal-time?

You can tap your card up to three times per meal-time.

Do unused meal credits rollover?

There is a 2-week rollover period for unused meal credits. Meal credits for breakfast are not transferable to dinner.

How many meal credits do I get for each semester?

You will receive 12 meals per week throughout the semester, from dinner on the first evening of the semester up till the last day of the exam week. Bear in mind that credits for each meal expire after 2 weeks.

How do I check the number of credits that I have?

You can check them here.

When is the first and last meal of the meal plan for every semester?

The meals arrangement for every semester starts with Dinner on the eve of the first day on every semester and ends with Breakfast on the last day on every semester.

Can I continue to stay at the College during the vacation period?

Vacation stay is possible at an additional charge. However, please note that meal plans are not provided during the vacation period. If you would like to stay at the college during this period, there is a separate application. Please approach the College Office at Level B1 for more details.

Can I choose my room and with whom I will share the suite?

You may indicate your preference to live in a single room along a common corridor or in a suite (aircon/non-aircon). All the rooms are equipped with ceiling fans. You may refer to

As we would like to provide you with opportunities to meet new people and embrace diversity, students are randomly allocated to their rooms based on floor preferences and room types (subjected to room availability during the application period) indicated by you via the University Hostel Management System (UHMS).

How can I go about requesting for room change?

You can email your request to Room change requests are subject to very limited availability and it is generally possible only to grant them in extenuating circumstances such as certified medical conditions. Where there are medical grounds for the request, the resident should provide supporting documents from an NUS UHWC doctor to certify their condition.

What does UTCP stand for?

UTCP refers to University Town College Programme.

Can I use these UTown modules to satisfy my University Level Requirements (ULRs)?

Yes. The UTown modules are meant to satisfy ULRs. For more information on ULRs, please refer to

Are the five UTCP modules ‘over and on top of’ graduation requirements? Do UTCP students do extra modules compared to those who do not live in a residential college?

No. UTCP students take the same number of modules to graduate as non-UTCP students. Most faculty degree programmes, such as Arts & Social Sciences, Engineering, Business and Science, require students to complete five General Education (GE) modules to graduate. The five UTCP modules replace this GE requirement, except that students matriculating from AY2016/2017 onward must still take the Quantitative Reasoning GE module. The fifth UTCP module is taken as an Unrestricted Elective instead. Students from faculties without a GE requirement, such as Medicine, Dentistry and Law, are not enrolled in UTCP and take fewer College modules to meet their residency requirement, by arrangement with the Home Faculty.

I am a student enrolled in the University Town College Programme (UTCP) in AY2015/2016. Do the General Education (GE) requirements apply to me?

The General Education requirements (20 MCs) are waived for students who complete the five required modules in the UTCP (20 MCs) while residing in the College. Students who do not complete the UTCP are expected to map the UTCP module(s) they have read back to the regular degree structure of their home Faculty. Generally, the module(s) may be used to seek exemptions from specific General Education pillars or count as an Unrestricted Elective(s).

My programme/course does not permit me to read ULRs or to overload. Do I still need to read UTown modules?

Incoming senior students (those who have already been at NUS for at least one year) are expected to read one module (preferably a Senior seminar) per year to establish or maintain residency. This requirement may be adjusted for students whose programmes do not allow the reading of ULRs. Year 1 students with reduced ULRs or limited module space to read the full 5 UTown modules are expected to read the relevant UTown modules that can fulfil their graduation requirements and residency requirement during their stay in CAPT. Please email if you need more information.

Are the UTown modules to be read on a letter-grading basis?

For students admitted into NUS prior to AY2014/2015: The Junior and Senior Seminars are graded on a CS/CU basis. The Ideas & Exposition modules are letter-graded, with the option to opt for S/U. The Capstone Module UTS2500 is graded on a CS/CU basis.

Note: Senior students admitted into NUS prior to AY2014/2015 who read Senior Seminars and/or Capstone module in AY2015/2016 can exercise the S/U option. Such students include new seniors who are admitted into CAPT in AY2015/2016, or seniors returning from SEP or offered Senior Retention for AY2015/2016.

For students admitted into NUS from AY2014/2015: The Junior Seminars are graded on a CS/CU basis. The Senior Seminars and Ideas & Exposition modules are letter-graded, with the option to S/U. The Capstone Module UTS2500 is also letter-graded, with the option to S/U.

I plan to read 2 UTown modules concurrently next semester. Can I read both a Junior Seminar and Senior Seminar concurrently?

No, you have to read and pass a Junior Seminar before reading a Senior Seminar as Senior Seminars are level 2000 modules. If you have read an I&E1 module previously, you can read an I&E2 module and a Junior Seminar concurrently.

Can I read one I&E module and a Senior Seminar, or 2 Senior Seminars concurrently in a semester?

Yes, you can read one I&E module together with a Senior Seminar concurrently in the same semester. You can also read 2 Senior Seminars concurrently in a semester. However, note that successful pre-allocation of modules is subject to overall module demand and availability of module quota. Due to limited module places, you may not be pre-allocated 2 modules concurrently in a semester.

What is the best way to ensure that I complete UTCP in my four semesters in College?

You should plan to take two UTCP modules in either your second (Year 1 Sem 2) or third (Year 2 Sem 1) semester if possible, subject to availability of spaces. Students who leave taking two modules to their fourth (Year 2 Sem 2) semester often find themselves unable to complete UTCP and will be at a disadvantage if applying for Senior Retention.

When and how do I apply for financial aid in NUS?

Applications for financial aid should be made as soon as possible after your application for admission to NUS through the Office of Financial Aid at the Undergraduate Financial Aid Portal. Once your application is submitted online, you will also be automatically considered for all other NUS bursaries, including the CAPT Grant, where eligible.

What are the different types of financial aid available to students residing in the College?

The types of financial aid available to students residing in the College of Alice & Peter Tan are as follows:

  1. Residential Programme Bursaries
  2. University Town Scholarships/Bursaries
  3. CAPT Grant

More information on the various financial schemes can be found on the College website or UTown website. Candidates must have been offered and accepted a place at the College to apply.

Please note that the CAPT Grant is only available to full-time NUS undergraduate students.

How do I apply for the CAPT Grant?

CAPT does offer the CAPT Grant for students staying in our college. For more information on the eligibility please check our website:

When can I expect to receive the outcome of the CAPT Grant application?

You should receive an email notification on the outcome of your CAPT Grant application within one month after your application submission in the Undergraduate Financial Aid Portal.

Who can I approach if I need further advice regarding the different types of financial aid?

Should you require more information or wish to speak to someone confidentially on aid related matters, please contact:

Defie Tanoto, Assistant Manager
Office number: 6601 2850 (Office hours: Mon-Thu 8:30am – 6pm and Fri 8:30am – 5:30pm)

For queries on other types of financial aid, please find the contact details of the Office of Financial Aid via this link.

What can I do if I encounter problems or defects with items in my room?

Call or directly report the problems to Office of Housing Services (Tel: 66012778, 66012779) located at Level 1 (#01-50) of the College during office hours (Mon-Thu: 8:30am-6pm; Fri: 8:30am-5:30pm) or 65461515 after office hours.

My Internet connection is problematic. Who do I call?

Call IT Care Hotline at 65162080. Information on the operating hours, email contact and walk-in location is given at

What is the Academic Visitors scheme?

The College of Alice & Peter Tan Academic Visitors scheme provides for individuals from other academic institutions or with equivalent professional experience to be invited to share their expertise and to enrich residential life and learning in the College through their teaching and interaction with students and other members of the College community.

Are visitors to NUS eligible to stay in CAPT visitor apartments?

If you are in NUS on official business and would like to stay in the visitors’ apartment at CAPT, you may send a request through your host department to